Monday, April 18, 2011

Finally... My Chocolate Toffee Recipe....Just in Time for Easter

Easter Gifts for my Big Kids. Pink for girls and Blue for boys!

I know it's hardly traditional fare for Easter but trust me 
these Chocolate Toffees are very delicious.

I have been working on the recipe which I inadvertently created 
during my failed attempt making Fructose Free Chocolate.

 Since then, I have successfully made these twice and unsuccessfully once
 (not cooked for long enough and it was more like chocolate fudge sauce!)

The secret to my success was the purchase of a candy thermometer.

 I strongly encourage you to get one if you want to have a go at making these.


Maree's Chocolate Toffees

1 cup Dextrose
1/2 cup water
50g butter

Grease a 10 x 20cm metal loaf tin with extra butter

Place ingredients in a saucepan and stir over heat until dextrose dissolved.
 Cook until the mixture reaches the Hard Crack Measure on Candy Thermometer. 300F or 150C
Take off the heat and immediately add to this mixture

1/4 cup cocoa (that has been sifted)
1/2 cup full cream milk powder
1tsp lecithin powder or granules
 (found them in Health Food section of Supermarket)

Stir vigorously until combined and a bit longer if using Lecithin granules
 because they take a bit of work to dissolve.

Pour mix into greased pan and let it cool slightly.

When the toffee starts to harden use a blunt knife to mark it into sections. 

When cool either break or cut into bite size pieces.

This recipe makes 32 pieces of deliciousness!

Enjoy!

Another Easter tip is to make some Fruit Muffins and Spice them up a bit.

Today I made some Spicy Banana and Blueberry Muffins. 

They are perfect for breakfast especially because 
one of the main ingredients is Weetbix.

They freeze well and keep for a few days. If you don't eat them all on the day you make them then pop in microwave for 30 seconds and they taste like they were freshly baked.

Who needs Easter buns when you can have a Spicy Fruit Muffin
I came across this recipe thanks to Kirsty.
and have made several different versions of it.
In this one I use 1 cup of blueberries and 1 and 1/2 mashed bananas. 
If you choose to add bananas then also add 
a tsp of bicarb soda to the dry ingredients. 
To make it a bit more spicy I add 2tsp of cinnamon and 1tsp of nutmeg.


Baked Cheesecke to die for!

On the weekend I made the baked cheesecake from the recipe in 
The Sweet Poison Quit Plan.
Oh my!
 It was incredibly delicious.
 David's directions for using foil to prevent water getting into the springform pan
 did not work for me and the base was a bit water logged.
 Still yummy though.
Next time I won't use a springform pan but will line 
a regular pan in such a way that I can lift the finished cake out.

Now for something completely different. 

Just want to share something about myself with you.

I love to cook but I also love to sew and create things!

Just a few of the Yo Gabba Gabba things I've made!
I have a 2 year old Grand Daughter and she is a big Yo Gabba Gabba fan.
Yo Gabba Gabba are having some live shows in Australia soon.
It's hard to buy and Yo Gabba merchandise here 
so I thought I would make my own.

AWESOME!

It's such fun being a Nana!

5 comments:

  1. Those chocolate toffees look amazing! I'm going to give that a go this week. One question- did you just use regular milk powder (ie, powdered milk from the supermarket by the longlife milks)? Silly question perhaps but I had some trouble using this when I tried to make a 'milkier' version of my chocolate recipe- the powdered milk just lumped together and I think was binding with the dextrose and nothing else. Chocolate ruined! So still experimenting but just wondered if there is a different product I should be looking for when cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Jemma. I used full cream milk powder from the supermarket. It all becomes a bit of chemistry experiment at the end of the day. I'm not sure if my method is the most correct way but all I can say is "Yes. They are indeed amazing!" Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to make some of that toffee! Yum!!! And I just got hold of Davids Quit Plan book and I cannot wait to make that cheesecake. Your photo makes it look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maree - I love your Yo Gabba Gabba gear.My wee boy would just love those things. He's also a big fan. I love the little red dress - so cute.

    Oh my gosh that cheesecake looks amazing.I'm very tempted...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sugar industry, incredibly, insists that once you look at the research, no expert says that sugar leads to any disease, even obesity.

    sugar machines

    ReplyDelete