I am 5 months in to Fructose free living and it is now so easy for me. Shopping is a breeze because (thanks to a lot of label reading and my new prescription glasses) I have come to know what foods to buy and what to avoid.
|Unfortunately this is NOT a photo of me!|
|Fortunately this is NOT a photo of me!|
So here are some of my tips for success if you are following the Sweet Poison Quit Plan.
- Keep the book handy. I found that re reading parts of the book helped me through some of the earlier and more challenging moments.
- Have a mantra that you repeat over and over in your head. Mine is simply the title of my blog. SUGAR IS POISON
- Ignore the scales when you start out. Despite feeling thinner I did not lose any weight in the first month then I all of a sudden lost 3kgs and after that have maintained a steady, gradual weight loss. Some people become disheartened when they don't get immediate results.
- Embrace fat laden foods. Do not be afraid of the fat content of foods. I really enjoy a full cream latte now. I find that having full cream version makes up for the lack of sugar and is a satisfying treat.
- Eat your veggies! The fibre in vegetables is a must have in your diet. When I reduced the amount of fruit I consumed I made sure to compensate by eating more veggies. I do not even consider the fructose content of veggies given that they are full of fibre.
- Drink lots of water. Very cheap drink when you have it on tap. If I am feeling decadent I will have a sparkling mineral water or a nice glass of wine (or two!)
- Stock up on Dextrose and buy an ice cream maker. Especially if you have children or an ice cream loving husband like mine.
- When invited out to a BBQ or dinner party then insist that you will only come if you can bring a dessert to share. This is my way of avoiding the problems that might be associated with refusing to eat a sugar laden treat that the host might have spent hours preparing.
- Search the internet for information, forums and articles that will reinforce the anti sugar message. (Good for you. You already have done this because you are reading this!)
- If anyone challenges what you are doing in a negative way then challenge them to read the book. That (and the fact that you are looking fabulous) should shut them up!
In my next blog I am going to share with you some of the typical meals I eat.
Until then. Have fun and take care.